Makes 12-15, depending on the size of your molds.
- 2.5 cups of baking soda
- Approx 3/4 cup of water
- 20-25 drops of citrus essential oil such as Lemon, Sweet Orange, Tangerine, Mandarin
- Silicone baking mold
If you are looking to deodorize your fridge without the use of commercially available products that are filled with chemicals, this is one quick and easy way to create your own fridge neutralizers.
- In a bowl, add the baking soda.
- Add in the water (not all at once) and mix well. The amount of water may vary slightly. What you want is to achieve a mixture that is similar to that of wet sand.
- Add the essential oil and mix well. You can add more if you would like to have more scent in your fridge.
- Add the mixture into your silione mold, and ensure that you press down to fill each mold. I also find that if you level the top of each mold properly, the fridge neutralizer will look nicer without any uneveness or "crater-like" holes.
- Leave the mold at room temperature. It takes 2-3 days for the fridge neutralizers to harden, such that they can be removed easily.
If you want to enhance the scent, you may add a few drops of essential oil into it and place the fridge neutralizer into your fridge.
You can keep the unused ones in an air-tight jars and they should keep for 6-12 months. The scent may disperse after some time, which is natural. You can re-scent with the esesntial oil whenever you want to use them.
Alternative Suggestion: Instead of using silicone baking molds, you can also use disposable mini cup cake holders like that I did (see picture above).